Monday, March 30, 2009

Nautical Disaster

actually no, no disaster, I just really wanted to say that. It is somewhat of an inside joke.



I think I finshed knitting this hat about three weeks ago. Just an example of how behind/lazy I am in the blogging realm these days.


Even my hair is much shorter now (finally).

I knit this hot on the heels of finishing off the Raglan Wrap with those anchor buttons --I was in the zooooooone of all things Navy and White and Nautical. And suffice to say, like most of my obsessions: fleeting. (yes, I just made a nautical pun there too.)


I love the teeny little tassle on it. Not sure why really as I'm generally anti- tassle. Yes, bet you didn't know there was an anti-tassle movement, did you?

Sooooo, I don't know what it is about this hat exactly--it seems to sit a little weird on my head. I guess I'm used to more of a beret shape?



free pattern: Rochefort Chapeau from the purl bee
yarn: Mission Falls 136 Merino Superwash DK --less than one ball each in White and Navy
needles: 3.75mm
mods: none. I got my A & B colours mixed up, so I kind of went the reverse of what the pattern called for (though I think I prefer a Navy band to a white one anyway?)

I did not even make an attempt at a seamless jog/join or anything like that. For whatever reason the join is barely off at all and the striping is really consistent. I'm not sure if that's down to me being a loose knitter, or this yarn, or what. It was kind of a happy surprise. For the most part ANYTHING that I knit in the round always winds up with some kind of ladder at the join regardless of how tight I'm cinching it. Possibly this is just my knitting cross to bear... but I have accepted this as my knit-lot in life.

Also, this yarn? Smooth and fabulous. Pointe finale. I plan to make it a definite go-to yarn for my next DK-weight sweater, it is JUST that nice. I liked it way better than any of the other Mission Falls yarns I've tried so far. Putting this hat on feels really nice. There is something comforting about it.

Though, that said...not sure if i'll wear it. It may well wind up on the gift pile. I plan to do the same yarn/striping in more of a floppy beret, but for now i'll leave it as it stands. That particular hat had been in my queue for a really, really long time. It went up fast too so I'm not sure why I'd put it off for so long. Also, why am I ever surprised when hats "go up fast"?

Also, speaking of Navy and White(ish) --ok grey I am pushing it... New Phildar eye candy anyone?


This first one is positively SCREAMING my name.





These are all new to me, so I'm not sure exactly how "new" these patterns actually are. I'm finding the whole neutral colour palette they are using and these long basic/baggy/boxy/eighties-style tunics so soothing, I want to knit them all! (or at least wear them all)

enjoy!







6 comments:

erngrn said...

that second green one from the top is the sexiest sweater i've ever seen and i must make one.

i have had this whole phildar issue where i can never figure out how to get the patterns in english - maybe you can enlighten me?

i like your hat but i hear you on the beret thing. i made a cashmere meret (by wolly wormhead) beret and it didnt' end up being as slouchy as i wanted even though i did an extra pattern repeat... kind of sad, i've only worn it twice. maybe i'll force myself to wear it and hope for budding love.

Reckless Glue said...

I know what you mean --there are far more patterns in French than in English on the Phildar site. I will usually check out the french version of the site to see what's new, but it's often a while before you actually start to see those new patterns show up on the English side. Usually with their main catalogues though they will send you the French book along with an insert for the English translations of the patterns, but you do need to specify that. I've muddled through one in French so I can do it if I have to, but ugh! I don't think those images I posted here are available in English yet...

Julia said...

I have such a boner for all things nautical too. Navy and white stripes rule! I think the hat is lovely - give the non-beret a chance!

The Phildar sweaters are cute - but remember you said no more batwings!

Reckless Glue said...

b-b-b-b-but that first one is a non-batwing!

LittleCanoe said...

I love your nautical knits. I'm somewhat obsessed with those themes as well. Why can't I move past those sailor anchor buttons? There exist other buttons out there!
Um, I love the super loose looks of the Phildar sweaters, but for those of us with short legs and thicker thighs, I'm not sure how flattering they would be. Looks great when you're size 0!

knitlit kate said...

that phildar with the coral bow at the neck is so pretty. they have the most genius patterns. just wish i spoke francais! and your rochefort chapeau is so cute! i made one last year and it is so my go-to spring hat.