Tuesday, November 10, 2009

this wedding may be the death of me

I think this might be my third(?) attempt at a shrug for my wedding...



yarn: 1.5 balls of Butterfly Super 10 in charcoal
needles: 4 & 4.5mm
pattern: to come...but see here to get you started



So, you may recognize it as I've attempted it once before in green (see the "pattern" link above). This time I've added the ribbed collar all the way around in an effort to sort of "fancy-it-up" a bit more. For some reason I had it in my head that a big 'ol collar would make it seem somehow more "wedding-y" or "regal". Uh yeah --maybe that's cause Prince Charles and Camilla are in town today and I got all confused about my place in the monarchy. Yeah, that's it.



I've had some interest from a few folks on Ravelry, so I plan to write this pattern up for y'all at some point if anyone was interested in making it. Right about now I'm wishing I had WRITTEN SOME NOTES as I was doing it. But no matter, as I've already cast on for a third in some slightly more wedding-appropriate yarn and colourway so it would have happened anyway.



Contrary to what I'd originally hoped, a collar does not in fact make a shrug "fancier". In fact it seems to have toned this little lace number down somewhat (no doubt the grey aids in that too) and given it a much more casual vibe.

I'm really not a shrug person to begin with, but I think it would be great with jeans this way. However, for my more formal needs, I'm scrapping the collar altogether. You've likely noticed that I haven't woven in the ends, and that's why. Also if you have boobs, and I most assuredly do, you will need to make the collar several inches longer than I've done, otherwise it just curls away. A couple more inches would no doubt rectify that (or a stiffer yarn).



Lots of smaller projects on the go lately,


berets, berets, berets!


my kind of cowl


another pair of bella's mittens


toys!

and so on...

There's a couple of fabulous F.O's I plan to post about soon as well--

Fall knitting fever has officially taken me over!

10 comments:

Natalie said...

"This wedding may be the death of me" - I was saying that in September, right before my own wedding. I was trying to make a lace shawl for me, and a pair of socks for my husband to wear, I didn't even bother blogging that whole month. I can't wait to see what the finished shrug looks like, and what color your choose. :)

LittleCanoe said...

I looooove that shrug! You're so busy, I don't know how you find time for all of this knitting!

Julia said...

Wow, you're back with a vengeance! I think the shrug is ay-dor-ab-lay. Can't wait to see all that other stuff!

My Life in SoRo said...

The shrug looks so nice. I need to come over and see how they look with the dress.

Anonymous said...

I hope your fiancé knows about all the trouble you're going through for him :P

Erin Wallace said...

What a gorgeous pattern in your shrug! I'm not a shrug person either, but I'd consider wearing this one simply because the pattern is divine!

kgirlknits said...

I like the lace pattern in the shrug, but agree with you on the ribbing - bit casual?

sorry though - no answers here!!! good luck :)

Team Knit said...

I love the shrug you're working on, it's stunning!! And all the little projects look great- I wear my cowl all the time, and I'm working on Bella's Mitts, too! Gotta get the winter gear all sorted, of course. :)

- Julie

Rima said...

That shrug is beautiful! I love the color!

Knitterella said...

Wow that shrug looks great!