Tuesday, February 12, 2008

urchin



pattern: Urchin beret from Twinkle's Weekend Knits
yarn: Twinkle Soft Chunky in "Raspberry"
needles: US #19



Ok, first off, I did NOT check my gauge---even AFTER I lambasted myself for not doing it last week. What is it about the chunky yarn (and hats) where I'm all "yeah, gauge, pffft, whatever". I would never do that with a sweater!



Anyway, it's not crazy huge like the Mercy beret I purged it's yarn from, but I could still have stood to use size 17 needles instead I think. I am finally cluing in that for the most part, I am a "loose" knitter. I think that also may be why I find the yarn-overs in this pattern to look really obvious when I'm wearing it. Not so much "hey, cute pattern in that hat!", but more like "hey, did you know there was a hole in your hat?"

I'm actually tempted to attach the leftover pom-pom from the mercy beret to it, as after the Poncho-man "helped" me frog it,



this was what I had left:

(image deleted)

Ah, this giant wool...felt like it took about 10 seconds to ball up by hand!

I do however feel like I'm off to a winning start with this new Twinkle book, and am tempted to nix my skating sweater idea in favour of one of the sweaters in Weekend Knits instead.



decisions, decisions...

Either way, I am seriously ready to chunk things up some more. Hurray for enormo things! Further proving my theory that things are often better when they are really, really huge (Voice of Fire, anyone?) or conversely, totally minature.

6 comments:

Julia said...

Cute! I loves me some jumbo yarn too! Just ordered the Twinkle book - can't wait!

Happily Knit said...

It's different than Ysolda's Urchin beret? I've never made hers but I've been eying it for a while. Funny that they both chose that name for it...

Reckless Glue said...

oh yeah, I guess I just realized that too--same name --I think Ysolda's is cabled though isn't it? weird.

Reckless Glue said...

oh yeah, I guess I just realized that too--same name --I think Ysolda's is cabled though isn't it? weird.

julia. said...

did you use circular or double pointed needles?

Reckless Glue said...

both! I have size 19 circs for my denise interchangeable set and then I just used those river john swing needles in place of dpns...