Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Fruit protectors~

Ok, time for a bit of a silly FO!



Doesn't everything in your life demand it's own wardrobe?



I don't know how much protecting of the fruit these little cozies will actually do, but they were a fun knit nonetheless. I got the pattern for both out of Funky Knits. Definitely a very teen-centric book, but they had a couple of patterns for the knit cacti that I'm also in the process of making, so I just went for it. Why I felt I needed a pattern for what amounts to a small tube, I don't really know. It's definitely a pretty silly book. There's actually a pattern in it for knitting yourself a guitar case. I question how well that could ever turn out.

The yarn was all 100% cotton scraps. I own zero cotton. I had to raid my mom's stash (as I am also presently doing for the baby ugg booties...) and pilfer what I could. Fortunately for me, her stash is ENORMOUS. And essentially the polar opposite of most everything I would ever buy for myself. So suffice to say, I'm not sure what brand any of it is. The little bit of brown for the banana is the only exception there, as it's Paton's Decor and a wool blend, unlike the rest. My gauge for the banana was a bit off, I think it should definitely fit a lot more snuggly, and that's a big banana I've got in it, so that's definitely not it. Jeez why do I perceive that last sentence as sounding so dirty?

(image deleted)

I was toying with the idea of giving silly things like this away as Xmas presents at work this year, but now I'm not so sure. And really, I'm talking about the folks on my team here, so I did want it to be something small (last year it was scarves and toques for nine people--never again!). Now I'm thinking that a little knit cactus for each person's desk might be a better route to take. Though I must say, they do eat a lot of fruit here...

8 comments:

Tami said...

Sweet fruit cozies.
cute idea.

Virtuous said...

LMAO!!!! Too cute! My eyes popped when I saw the big ole banana on bloglines! HA! My dirty thoughts happened waaay before your sentance Hahaha! :oD

A very interesting book indeed!

Um your team my not be too happy with that as their gift selection! Haha!

Reckless Glue said...

oh come on, they should be glad to get ANYTHING! ;)

Julia said...

I actually purchased a "banana guard"
(http://www.bananaguard.com/). I revel in the discomfort it brings to straight men in my office.

Reckless Glue said...

damn. I need one of those!

Sarah said...

Wow, it's been all go with you. The scarf is lovely, the cardi buttons a perfect choice in the end (even though it took some swearing over ) and as for these little fruity beauties - fabulous - can't wait to see the cacti.

Twiss And Weber said...

Hi! I found you on Ravelry and Love the fruit cozies -ones I saw in the New York Times Style section a few weeks ago. Thanks for posting where the pattern is from, I've requested it from our public library -Ottawa has seven of them!
Woo Hoo

Thanks,

Laura

Reckless Glue said...

miss twiss, there's also a free pattern for them on craftster.org --looks a bit better too (less piecing them together!)
:)